Follow Us!

***New Here? We would love to have you back! Don't forget to become a follower so you don't miss any fun new posts!***

Monday, March 19, 2012

How to: Make an applique onesie

Today I am going to tell you how to make this adorable applique onesie. This project could not be easier. A great project for those of you just starting out sewing. You could also easily do this without a sewing machine by hand stitching. I love the way hand stitching looks I plan to do more of it in the future. I think there is something so charming about it. To make this I simply followed the directions on my Pellon Wonder Under.

*For the onesie I made I stuck with a really basic shape because the fabric already had a cute image I wanted to use. Fabric shown is Premier Prints Ele Kelso/French Blue.

What you will need:
-A clean wrinkle free onesie or t-shirt
-Iron
-Damp pressing cloth
-A scrap of fabric
-A shape/design to applique
-Sewing machine OR needle and thread

Directions:
1. Place rough side of Wonder-Under against wrong side of fabric. Press for 5-8 seconds with hot, dry iron. Let cool, draw or trace desired shape into paper backing then cut. 
*Hint: To avoid backward letters and numbers draw on rough side with ball point pen. For dark fabrics redraw shape on paper side. OR If you are printing an image simply flip the image so it prints backwards.

2. Gently peel off paper backing. Position fusible fabric web side down, on the project. Cover with damp press cloth. With iron on wool setting press FIRMLY for 10-15 seconds (Heavier fabrics=more time). Repeat, lifting and overlapping until all fabric is fused. Remove press cloth and iron fabric to eliminate excess moisture.

3. Stitch all the way around your applique shape close to the edge. This can be done on your sewing machine or by hand.*I stitched on my machine you can see some of my stitches in the close up at the top of the post.

Simple and cute. I love it. This was a gift for a cousin of my husband. They had a beautiful baby boy earlier this month! =)

Enjoy! This project is really fun and easy I could make a whole stack of fun applique onesies! Let me know if you have any questions.


No comments:

Post a Comment