Follow Us!

***New Here? We would love to have you back! Don't forget to become a follower so you don't miss any fun new posts!***

Sunday, March 25, 2012

Banana Chocolate Chip Cookies

As we are nearing moving day I am trying to use up any food items remaining in our freezer. So today I made these yummy cookies I saw last night on "Kelsey's Essentials" a cooking show on the cooking channel. They sounded so good and I knew I had all of the ingredients already including the bananas I had frozen a while back. Bananas freeze really well if you have never tried it you definitely should. I wouldn't these are my favorite but they are good. They are cakier than a normal cookie. And I could probably do without the cinnamon and nutmeg. I think next time I will try it without the spices. I also think I will try making them with pumpkin.

Banana Chocolate Chip Cookies
adapted from Kelsey's Essentials

Ingredients
  • 1 cup granulated sugar 
  • 3/4 cup shortening
  • 2 overripe bananas, mashed
  • 1 large egg
  • 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
  • 1 3/4 cups rolled oats 
  • 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
  • 1 cup milk chocolate chips (about half a 12-ounce bag)
Directions

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.

In a large mixing bowl or stand mixer, cream together the sugar and shortening until light and fluffy. Mix in the bananas and egg and mix well, scraping down the sides of the bowl. Mix in the vanilla.

In a separate large mixing bowl, combine the rolled oats, flour, baking soda, cinnamon, salt and nutmeg. Mix until thoroughly combined.

Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and mix just until combined. It will be a wet cookie dough. Stir in the chocolate chips.

 Portion cookies out using overflowing tablespoonfuls on 2 greased cookie sheets, 12 cookies per sheet. Bake just until golden brown, 20 minutes. I recommend baking these one sheet at a time. Cool on a wire rack.


Thanks for stopping by!


No comments:

Post a Comment