Follow Us!

***New Here? We would love to have you back! Don't forget to become a follower so you don't miss any fun new posts!***

Saturday, August 6, 2011

Homemade Sloppy Joes

Sloppy joes are one of my all time favorite meals. In the past I have always just bought canned manwich or whatever was on sale. I have been cooking a lot more lately and thought I would like to make my own homemade mix. I looked online at about four different websites for inspiration and this is what I came up with.


Ingredients
  • 1 lb ground beef or turkey
  • 1 T olive oil
  • 1/2 red bell pepper, finely chopped
  • 1 small white onion, finely chopped
  • 1/2 celery stalk, finely chopped
  • 1 t minced garlic
  • 1-6oz canned tomato sauce
  • 1/2 t kosher salt
  • 1/2 t ground pepper
  • 1/2 t ground cumin
  • 1 t chili powder
  • 1 t low sodium worcestershire sauce
  • 1 T yellow mustard
  • 1 T brown sugar

  1. Brown ground beef/turkey.
  2. Combine olive oil, minced garlic, onion, red pepper and celery in medium sauce pan. Cook on low to medium heat until it becomes fragrant (about 3 minutes).
  3. Drain ground beef/turkey and set aside.
  4. Add remaining ingredients to vegetable mixture. Simmer for about 2 minutes.
  5. Add ground beef/turkey and enjoy! 
I served mine on hamburger buns. You could also do them open faced with sliced cheese. I also think it would be really good on a baked potato with cheese and sour cream! Yum.

I am so pleased with the results! These sandwiches were so good I will never buy the canned mix again!



No comments:

Post a Comment